What should I do after being attacked by a dog?
In Louisiana, dog owners who have a reason to suspect their animal may be dangerous have a responsibility to ensure the safety of individuals who come near their animal. This means the owner of a dog that attacks you may be held financially liable for any injuries caused by the attack.
If you are attacked by a dog, you may want to consider seeking legal help in order to ensure your needs are met by the liable party. However, you should be aware of a few important steps to follow after you are attacked by a dog that will help your attorney build the strongest case possible on your behalf. These steps include the following:
- Get the dog owner’s information
- Seek medical attention for the injury
- Document the injury with photos
- Check with the dog’s veterinarian to ensure it has been properly vaccinated
- File a report with your local animal control center
In addition to following these key steps, call a qualified personal injury lawyer at the office of N. Craig Richardson at (337) 381-5349 to further discuss your options for legal recourse.